Poetic Pink Snapdragons


Pink Snapdragons: LadyD Books
Flowers on Saturday

These lovely pink snapdragons come up every spring around the palm tree in my front yard.

THE MEANING & SYMBOLISM OF
snapdragon

Derived from the Greek words “anti,” meaning like, and “rhin,” meaning nose, antirrhinum, the snapdragon’s botanical name, is a fitting description of this snout-shaped flower. It’s said that the common name for this colorful flower comes from the snap it makes when the sides of the “dragon’s mouth” are gently squeezed. While their actual origin is unknown, it’s believed that snapdragons were originally wildflowers in Spain and Italy.
Legend has it that concealing a snapdragon makes a person appear fascinating and cordial, and in the language of flowers, snapdragons are said to represent both deception (perhaps tied to the notion of concealment) and graciousness. http://www.teleflora.com

pink roses: LadyD Books
Pink Saturday

My English Roses are producing abundantly with the April showers we've been having here. A bit unusual for southern Cali but a most welcome sight, indeed. I've had this tablecloth for years and use it around this time of the year!


girl with flower garland
Photo Credit: Graphics Fairy


Quote it Saturday

the petulant snapdragon

The Petulant Snapdragon
The snapdragon is
a petulant flower
friendly and gregarious
a little coy
like her velvet neighbour
the pansy
the funny bee balm
finds them likable enough
The elegant delphinium
is almost over now
My dainty sweet peas
begin to climb the trellis
I wonder will they
be pastel pink or blue
In June I enjoyed
the startling irises
And the birds
I have developed
a new love of birds
pastoral pleasures
the quiet life
the joys of nature
simple joys
for the meantme


-- Donna Bamford The Petulant Snapdragon Poem


I'm connecting with the following Saturday memes.





Have a lovely weekend. I'll be going to the Avocado Festival and must bring my camera along!

Warmly,





 “You can’t get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." C. S. Lewis
Enhanced by Zemanta

12 comments:

  1. Lovely pink blooms and I really enjoyed that poem, very spring like and festive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pink flowers are gorgeous..and I loved the poem too!
    Happy Pink Saturday..xo Tami

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Sweet Friend...
    I simply love snapdragons. Their shape and tall size, just amaze me. I love all the beautiful colors they come in as well. Yours are simply delightful, and I imagine they are quite playful in your gardens right now. With the rain I would say all the flowers are happy.

    Love your beautiful pink flowered tablecloth as well. How pretty that is. I love linens and am drawn to anything floral. Thank you for sharing it.

    Your rose is gorgeous. Aren't they scentful? I have been picking some of mine and bringing them in more and enjoying them indoors rather than looking out the backdoor.

    Have a glorious weekend sweet friend. Many hugs and much love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a pleasure to hear from you Sherry, thank you!

      Delete
  4. Love those snapdragons!! We haven't gotten any of those in yet at my work. Can't wait to see color again in my garden. I'd LOVE to go to the Avocado Festival! I've been adding avocado to everything. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish you were here Mimi! I do love those avos!

      Delete
  5. Oh I love the snapdragon flower. It has always been on the top of my favorite 10 list! And it looks so great in a bouquet too! Happy to be your newest follower..
    ~Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Shirley, thanks for reading my blog post and deciding to follow. Nice to meet you!

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing these gorgeous flowers.....so very beautiful! I am now a follower of your blog and look forward to return visits. I invite you to join me as well on my blog at http://atastefultouch.blogspot.com
    Hugs, Gayle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Gayle, thank you for the invite! I'll head on over!

      Delete

As always, so nice to hear from you!