Think Pink and Orange


LadyD Books: Flamingos at Safari Park

With all my many wonderful trips to the San Diego Safari Park, I find myself once again in front of these marvelous wading birds, the Flamingos. Photo for Wild Bird Wednesday
If you haven't been to our Animal Park, I highly recommend making an entire day of it. Get your walking shoes on and of course, bring your camera!


Flamingos: Wading Birds: LadyD Books

Flocks numbering in the hundreds may be seen in long, curving flight formations and in wading groups along the shore.  Did you know a flock of flamingos is called a flamboyance?!

San Diego Safari Park: Flock of Flamingos: LadyD Books

One thing for sure, Flamingos form strong bonds and they are very social birds! Flamingo comes from the Spanish word, Flamenco which means fire. I love their coloring!

Flamingos standing on one leg: LadyD Books

From the photos it seems that Flamingos often stand on one leg, the other leg tucked beneath the body. I'm not really sure why that is since the birds can't tell me!  Perhaps they are conserving body heat while standing in or near the water.

Additional Information


Caribbean Flamingo
San Diego Zoo
SeaWorld Parks

Kid's Books



Flora and the Flamingo

Those Funny Flamingos (Those Amazing Animals)

Felipe the Flamingo

 So, where do you go to see the lovely flamingo in your area?




 “You can’t get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." C. S. Lewis
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Print Friendly and PDF

Post a Comment

As always, so nice to hear from you!