Turtle Skies


mushroom cloud: LadyD Books

A billowing mass of condensed water vapor floating in the air, high above the ground. Photo shot with my Nikon D200 for Skywatch Friday.


clouds with formation: LadyD Books

The blue skies clouded over abruptly and made things less clear in some parts of the valley below.
storm cloud passing: LadyD Books

I started  recalling familiar phrases in reference to clouds. Can you think of some to add here? Example: Every cloud has a silver lining. I'm on cloud nine. She has her head in the clouds.
Testudines

Wikipedia turtle: Turtles are reptiles of the order Testudines characterised by a special bony or cartilaginous shell developed from their ribs that acts as a shield. I have heard of snapping turtles and red ear sliders. And experiencing sea turtles in Maui has been a magical moment for me. They hear the music of the sea.
So California turtle

I have seen snapping turtles in Massachusetts, and land turtles at the zoo. This looks like a Box Car or perhaps these turtles seen at the S.D. Safari Park are called The Western Hermann's tortoise.


The Western Hermann's tortoise



I had no idea just how many varieties of turtles exist. Familiar with the Logger Head sea turtle, or the slant neck water turtle? How about the Gopher turtle? If interested, a list can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtle

These guys fascinate me. I watched them for quite sometime and studied their moves. (slowly)

So, there's the Diamondback Terrapin, Red-Eared Turtle, the Painted Turtle, Florida Cooter, Chicken Turtle, Mississippi Map Turtle, Musk Turtle or Stinkpot, Texas Tortoise, Eastern Mud Turtle, Wood Turtle, Blanding's Turtle, Atlantic Green, Spiny Softshell, Yellow-Spotted Amazon, Moorish Tortoise and Giant Galapagos Tortoise.


When our son was a young lad, the "Teenage Ninja Turtle" costume was ever popular for the day. Hubby would be in the garage using Turtle wax on the car and the kids and I would look at books and read about turtle eggs. I've made a collage of a few of our favorite 'turtle books.' Naturally, Franklin the Turtle is at the top of the list with the grandchildren. I posted a book review, http://ladyd-books.blogspot.com/2011/07/review-franklin-turtle.html. Another favorite children's book by Dr. Seuss is Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories.

 
children's books

Hardcover Book by Ann Ivans
The Friday 56: The Beginning Knowledge Book of Turtles

"The box turtle can close its top shell so tightly against its bottom shell that a thin knife blade cannot be forced between the two. But sometimes a box turtle gets so stuffed from eating wild strawberries and mushrooms that it cannot close its shell at all."
The Beginning Knowledge Book of Turtles
 
Matilija Poppy: LadyD Books

The Matilija Poppy for Friday Floral Foto. Last year I wrote about the Legend of the Matilija Poppy. These 'fried egg' flowers make the landscape a happy place.

grandson with tattoo: LadyD Books
Grandson posing with pirate tattoos for Color Connection (http://www.kids-e-connection.com)

Blessings,









“You can’t get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." C. S. Lewis
© copyright 2012 – All rights reserved
LadyD Books
Enhanced by Zemanta

15 comments:

  1. Its cute post. Buying books online is the trend these days as it is convenient to do so and most online bookstores offer books at cheaper price than regular, physical bookstores. We can buy story books online at much lower prices from any book shop online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Messed up before - this is a great posting - I enjoyed the photos and the info - I came over from sky watching

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love turtles, they are simply amazing! I mentioned you in my answer to this week's Follow Friday question btw! Thanks for sharing :)
    My FF
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not know that about turtles! Thanks for sharing...and here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those skies, and I am a turtle person myself. Once when we were walking the trails at the Botanical Gardens, we saw a family of turtles. I wanted to scoop a baby up and bring it home, but the mommy in me figured its mommy would miss him. So I didn't scoop him up....
    And your grandlittle is a sweetyface!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos! Happy sky watching.

    Still Cloudy

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOve all the pictuers, but the best is the last picture:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Captured beautifully! Visiting from Sky Watch Friday.

    My Skywatch, hope you'd come and see.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for joining last week's Color Connection. Can't wait to see what color you will be showcasing this week.

      Delete
  10. Turtles are such funny creatures! Is your grandson smirking at ya? :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cloud is amazing, and the comparaison to a turttle quite acurate !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely shots and that poppy is wonderful.
    Thank you for participating in Floral Friday Fotos!

    ReplyDelete

As always, so nice to hear from you!