Friday 56: Bambi

Cover of "Bambi (2-Disc Special Platinum ...Cover of Bambi (2-Disc Special Platinum Edition) Happy Friday Dear Readers!

Yesterday, my grandson and I headed out to the local stores to look at fall decorations. O.k., I looked at all the homemade fall-colored items while my grandson looked at trucks, animals and books. Upon returning home, we opened up Felix Salten's famous classic, Bambi and I began reading the chapter book aloud while my grandson looked at his board book.

I look forward to Friday's to see what my friends are reading, you know, what book is closest to them. After all,  I seem to place piles of books to review by my favorite chair, plus I'll find one or two that I've left in every room to be continued. How about you?


I'd love it if you'd join us on Fridays. If this meme is to your fancy, then here's what to do:



* Turn to page 56.
* Find the fifth sentence.
* Post that sentence (plus one or two others if you like) along with these instructions 
on your blog or (if you do not have your own blog) in the comments section of this blog.
*
Post a link along with your post back to this blog Starting Fresh and to Storytime with Tonya and Friends
* Don't dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.


"It had become too much for her." 
(In a moment Bambi darted after her. Gobo followed him. They flew around in a semi-circle, they turned tail and fell over each other.)


From: Bambi written by Felix Salten


Amazon Review:


Bambi comes into the world in a forest glade, loved by his mother, protected by a thicket. He grows up frolicking in the meadow, befriending butterflies and screech owls, and learning about the dark fear of all the woodland creatures: man. Over time, Bambi seeks out the wisdom of the prince of deer, a magnificent old stag who walks alone through the paths of the forest. Bambi is torn between his desire to be with his beloved mate, Faline, and his yearning for the knowledge and solitude the prince represents. He is also conflicted about his friend Gobo, who has returned to the forest after a winter living among humans. Gobo behaves unnaturally by strolling through the woods by day when other deer are sleeping, showing no fear of his natural mortal enemy. This 1926 classic has been stretched and squeezed into many forms over the years, but the Felix Salten original should not be missed. With the richer, more highly wrought language of his time, Salten crafts a story layered in meaning, weighty with its message. The sometimes cruel, often joyful cycle of life continues, in spite of those who try to defy nature's law.

So, I've read the book, saw the movie... cried and cried.

I'd love to hear your reaction and feelings to this one. Perhaps you have some favorite family memories of camping and spotting a deer in the woods. Maybe a trip to the petting zoo brought laughter and giggles for you.  Do you have Bambi (book or DVD on your shelf?

Wonderful book covers I have seen... it's endless. Here's just a few:

 




-- LadyD


“You can’t get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.” — C. S. Lewis
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. You've made some changes to your blog! The background is gorgeous.

    I remember reading Bambi in middle school and loving it. Thanks for sharing and for dropping by Starting Fresh.

    Gaby

    ReplyDelete

As always, so nice to hear from you!