Silver Lining All Around

Gray clouds: LadyD Books
SkyWatch Friday

 Who said, "Every cloud has a silver lining"?

"John Milton's masque (dramatic entertainment) 'Comus' (1634) gave rise to the current proverb with the lines, 'Was I deceiv'd, or did a sable cloud/ Turn forth her silver lining on the night?' Charles Dickens, in his novel 'Bleak House' (1852), recalled the lines with 'I turn my silver lining outward like Milton's cloud,' and the American impresario Phineas T. Barnum first recorded the wording of the modern saying in 'Struggles and Triumphs' (1869) with 'Every cloud,' says the proverb, 'has a silver lining.'"

Thus, Phineas T. Barnum, in 1869, was the first to write the proverb that is said today, but the concept behind it dates back to John Milton's masque in 1634. wiki.answers.com

Above photo taken from our eastern view (glorious sunrise) with the Nikon D200. 

I'm a huge fan of the song, Clouds by Judy Collins. Some of you may remember...



talking with artists by pat cummings

I have been working on writing my own children's stories for quite sometime now. I belong to a writer's group online. I just love to write and I'm always grabbing pen and paper to quickly jot down some ideas. Do you ever get that urge to write, or perhaps doodle and sketch a bit? While I was at our local library, I checked out a few books on "How To Draw."

Talking With Artists by Pat Cummings is the winner of the 1992 Boston Globe/Horn Book Award for Nonfiction. I'm reading through the book this week and discovered a few things about the artist. If you're interested in her work, for more information visit http://www.eduplace.com

Pat illustrated:
Clean Your Room, Harvey Moon!
Just Us Women (Reading Rainbow Books)
Storm in the Night
My Mama Needs Me

 The jacket flap reads:

Have you ever wondered

  • Where children's book illustrators find their inspiration?
  • If they were always good at what they do?
  • What their days are like?
  • How you can become an artist, too?
For The Page 56

"I think I was asked to illustrate it (Faithful Elephants) because I love to draw animals, and because I use real people for models I can get great feeling into my figures." -- Ted Lewin
What are you reading today?

Grandson playing the guitar: LadyD Books

When we're not looking at picture books, my grandson loves to play the guitar. He definitely has that "in the zone" look! Photo for Color Connection.

Have a wonderful weekend!






 “You can’t get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." C. S. Lewis
Enhanced by Zemanta

12 comments:

  1. lOve your sky pictures and your grandson. He is just adorable.
    Dropping by from Color connection.
    Hvae a nice week end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos! Your grandson is adorable. I like your p. 56 snippet, too. Thanks for visiting mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love me a silver lining, both literally and figuratively. Thanks for the beautiful capture. Happy Weekend! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. Like you, I often see or hear something that sparks an idea for a book or scene, and I write it down. However, my stick figure drawings are not something I'm willing to share.
    My Friday 56 is from TANGLED ASHES.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those skies as always, but your grandson steals the show today!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my I so love that song :) I used to listen to the revival one, this is the first i hear the original and i must say I love it more. Very nice photo too, so perfect for the song :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Captured so beautifully! I love that song too!

    My Skywatch post

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your little rockstar!

      Thank you for linking up to Color Connection, the linky is up now for this week.

      Delete
  8. The sky photo looks awesome! Wish I could also write children's stories but I'm not good at it. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. more like gold and silver lining! and what a strapping young musician you have there! :)

    Btw, I remember you were interested in the book Eight Girls Taking Pictures - I've got my review up! I hope you get a chance to read it - so many wonderful photography details!
    http://guiltlessreading.blogspot.ca/2012/11/eight-girls-taking-pictures-by-whitney.html

    ReplyDelete

As always, so nice to hear from you!