Review: High Protein Raw Food Cookbook

Review: High Protein Raw Food l LadyD Books



High Protein Raw Food Cookbook: 100 Truly Easy and Yummy High Protein Recipes for the Raw Food Lifestyle

The Friday 56  (56% reader)


" Let the almonds soak for 8 hours, the flax seeds for 8 hours, and the sunflower seeds for 2 hours." -- Jon Symons

About The Book

As a raw foodie, can you guess what question I get asked most often?

Well, it isn't, "how much weight have you lost?" or, "have you seen a dramatic improvement in your health?" (yes), or, "do you generally just feel a lot better on a raw food diet?" (yes), or, "is it true you have more energy than ever on your diet?" (yes)... no, the question I get asked the most is...

"Where do you get your protein?" (ugh!)

"Ugh" Not only do I get tired of answering the same question over and over, but also because the question is misguided.

The fact is that it is easy to get enough protein on a raw or plant-based diet, and I've written this book to demonstrate just that.

And no, my recipes aren't bland mixtures of foods clinically formulated to provide protein requirements. These are amazingly yummy raw meals and drinks like: raw hot chocolate, cashew pesto sauce, raw tortilla chips, raw cinnamon rolls with icing, breakfast crepes, raw chili, macaroni and cheese, and raw lasagna.

You get the point. These meals are quick and easy to make, amazingly tasty and they provide plenty of protein.

I visited my parents recently and my mom made a raw dinner for our family. All the dishes were from my book. Being the trouper that she is, she also prepared "normal" (non-raw and non-vegan) versions of the main dishes for my dad (let's just say he isn't known for being open to new foods). Much to everyone's surprise, my dad never touched the normal versions of the dishes, and was asking for seconds of the raw dishes.

In the beginning of the book, I lay out all the facts you'll need to prove to yourself and your concerned friends that a raw or plant-based diet provides all the protein you need, even if you're a high-performance athlete like Carmelo Anthony and Venus Williams (both of whom eat a plant-based diet).

Each recipe comes with its protein content in grams per serving. Use the introduction section to calculate how much protein you really need per day (much less than you've been led to believe) and then add up your meals' protein content and you will be enjoying the amazing benefits of the raw food lifestyle with none of the "where do you get your protein?" concerns.

Being a raw food chef myself, I've also included the "total time" involved for each recipe. If you're like me, you've probably pulled out your favorite raw cookbook and start preparing a meal for tonight's dinner only to find out there is 18 hours of dehydrating time that wasn't mentioned in the recipe. In this book, I break down soaking times, marinating times and dehydrating times and prep times, so you'll know exactly how far in advance you need to begin to prepare each meal.

Also, I'm a simple chef. I don't like having to buy a package of something for $8 from the health food shop that I'll only need in a raw recipe once every 2 years. With these recipes, I've made sure they can all be made with common and readily available ingredients.

And finally, I've made sure that the recipes can all be accomplished quickly and easily. While some do have extra hours needed for dehydrating or soaking, the actual preparation times are, in most cases, quicker than traditional home cooked meals.

Give my High Protein Raw Food Cookbook a try and start eating and feeling better right away.

My Thoughts

The author presents a very meaningful message for better health, explaining the benefits in eating raw foods. I was impressed with the plethora of excellent information regarding the need for protein; just how much to have and why we need protein. There is so much to learn here. What I especially like is the valuable content on soaking nuts and seeds, along with understanding enzyme inhibitors. This is not a hard, technical book to understand but one of the superb recipes that are simple to make with a little bit of prep work involved. You can confidently share with family and friends that you are indeed getting enough protein with many plant-based foods. I have tried 21 delicious recipes so far and I am recommending the book to friends. I don't want them to miss out of having overall better health.

5/5 stars.

Here's a peek at recipe titles that I like so far:

1. Zucchini Pasta with Spicy Lemon Pepper Salad
2. Cinnamon Pancakes with Fruit Topping
3. Banana Pecan Pancakes
4. Blueberry Pancakes
5. Easy Breakfast Tropical Fruit Bowl
6. Raw Chili
7. Raw Tortilla-Style Soup
8. Collard Green Veggie - Nut Wraps
9. Walnut - Stuffed Bell Pepper
10. Spring Rolls with Chile Sauce
11. Raw Corn, Avo and Black Bean Salad
12. Cuke - Avo Soup with Cilantro
13. Nutty - Veggie Burgers
14. Burritos with Spicy Zucchini Sauce
15. Spaghetti and Nut Meatballs
16. Taco Salad Dinner
17. Raw Ravioli with Red Pesto
18. Fruit Salsa
19. Eggplant Fries (tamari/chipotle powder)
20. Banana Maple Walnut Ice Cream
21. Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

Cashew Pesto with Basil

2 c. basil leaves
1/2 c. olive oil
3/4 c. raw cashews, soaked several hours
1-2 large garlic cloves
1 handful watercress or parsley
Juice of 1 lemon, pinch of salt

Pulse for 30 seconds, slowly. Pour in olive oil.

High Protein Raw Food Cookbook: 100 Truly Easy and Yummy High Protein Recipes for the Raw Food Lifestyle

One of my grandson's eating choices is all natural, raw fruits and vegetables. Yes, he likes Mac n' Cheese along with the other 4 grandchildren... but Ryan eats mostly raw foods.  As I get older, I find myself changing in the area of food choices. How about you?

What are you reading this week and are you enjoying it?




 “You can’t get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." C. S. Lewis

No comments:

Print Friendly and PDF

Post a Comment

As always, so nice to hear from you!