I recently read this cool article by Laurie Mayhew from Seattle Children's Literature Examiner titled Top ten list: picture books. Laurie says, "When you say "children's books" to someone, chances are the image that pops into their head is that of a picture book. Picture books are most children's gateway into the world of literature and reading. At best, they combine a great story with fabulous pictures and bring a child's imagination to life."
Read more at
Laurie breaks down her list with age groups... I like that organization! I'll start today's post with the little folks first.
For young listeners:
1. Good Night Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann- $7.99
Good Night, Gorilla
2. Grandfather Twilight by Barbara Berger- $6.99
Grandfather Twilight (Paperstar Book)
3. Time for Bed by Mem Fox and Jane Dyer- $6.95
Time for Bed
4. I Went Walking by Sue Williams and Julie Vivas- $7.00
I Went Walking [I WENT WALKING]
5. Bear Snores On by Karma Wilson and Jane Chapman- $13.22
Bear Snores on [BEAR SNORES ON-BOARD]
6. Is Your Mama a Llama? by Deborah Guarino and Steven Kellogg- $6.99
Is Your Mama a Llama?
7. You and Me Little Bear by Martin Waddell and Barbara Firth- $8.91
You and Me, Little Bear
8. How I Became a Pirate by Melinda Long and David Shannon- $10.40
How I Became a Pirate
9. One Little Mouse by Dori Chaconas and Leuyen Pham- $12.47
One Little Mouse
10. How Do Dinosaurs Say good Night? by Jane Yolen and Mark Teague
How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night?
The winner of Mama's Got a Fake I.D. goes to Amy... congratulations!