Honey White Bread

Cookbook about everyday recipes you'll make over and over again.

 Book Beginnings

"Something smells really good!" my husband, Jeffrey, exclaims every Friday night when he walks in the front door."

 How to participate: 

Share the first line (or two) of the book you are currently reading on your blog or in the comments. Include the title and the author so we know what you're reading. Then, if you would like, let us know what your first impressions were based on that first line, and let us know if you liked or did not like the sentence. The link-up will be at A Few More Pages every Friday and will be open for the entire week.

The Friday 56 

"So many of my dishes call for 'good white bread' and many people have emailed me to say they have trouble finding it. I don't usually spend time making bread, but this recipe is foolproof. Baking two loaves means you'll have one for now and one for the freezer."
Barefoot Contessa at Home: Everyday Recipes You'll Make Over and Over Again

How to participate: 

Grab a book, any book. Turn to page 56. Find any sentence that grabs you. Post it. Add your link to The Friday 56


Honey White Bread

1/2 cup warm water

2 packages dry yeast

1 teaspoon sugar

1 1/2 cups warm whole milk

6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooked

1 1/2 tablespoons honey

2 extra-large egg yolks

5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon kosher salt

1 egg white, lightly beaten

Place the water in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment. If the bowl is cold, be sure the water temperature doesn't drop below 110 degrees. Add the yeast and sugar; stir and allow them to dissolve for 5 minutes.

Add the milk, butter, and honey. Mix on medium speed until blended. Add the egg yolks, 3 cups of flour, and the salt. Mix on low speed for about 5 minutes. With the mixer still on low speed, add just enough remaining flour so the dough doesn't stick to the bowl. Add the flour slowly; you can always add more but you can't take it out. Knead on medium speed for about 8 minutes, adding flour as necessary.

Dump the dough  out onto a floured surface and knead by hand for a minute, until the dough is smooth and elastic. Grease a bowl with butter, put the dough in the bowl, then turn it over so the top is lightly buttered. Cover the bowl with a damp towel and allow it to rise for 1 hour, until doubled in volume.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven 350 degrees. When the dough is ready, brush the tops with the egg white and bake the breads for 40 to 45 minutes, until they sound hollow when tapped. Turn them out of the pans and cool completely on a wire rack before slicing. 

Looks like we're moving towards the holidays with lots of baking. I used to make bread from scratch and still do occasionally. Why I even bought a bread machine years ago and always seem to try a new recipe or two. Do you have a favorite bread recipe? How I love the smell of a loaf of fresh baking in the oven and afterwards! 

Book Blogger Hop at http://crazy-for-books.com/2011/10/book-blogger-hop-1028-1031.html asked,


“What is your favorite Halloween costume?
Even if you don’t celebrate, what kinds of costumes do you like?”


In this case, I would say a chef or French maid... something about aprons!








“You can’t get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." C. S. Lewis










My Family from WiddlyTinks.com

Enhanced by Zemanta

10 comments:

  1. My favorite bread recipe is an Herbed loaf of Italian, but lately I've been making baguettes. I wrote down this recipe, and am going to make today. I'll let you know how it turns out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that beginning! And I like the philosophy found on p. 56. Thanks for sharing...

    Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made a really good Honey Wheat bread before. I probably wouldn't be making any of the recipes with white bread...I go for the whole grains now when I do bread.

    Here's my Friday: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2011/10/friday-memes_28.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just hopping by, happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Bev I prefer whole grain breads but that recipe does sound good.

    On Halloween costumes, I haven't done one in years but I like the more glamorous ones like Marilyn Monroe. We get a lot of trick or treaters each year and some of the parents come up with amazing costumes for the toddlers. It makes opening the door fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the smell of bread baking in the oven or breadmaker. Have a Happy Halloween! New Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fresh bread from the oven is the best thing in the world! Except for cookies fresh from the oven...

    Thanks for participating in Book Beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, LOVE freshly made bread! Have ever read The Bread Baker's Apprentice? (hubs swears by it!)

    Here's my 56:
    http://guiltlessreading.blogspot.com/2011/10/early-halloween-friday-56.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. A good recipe! Cool! I found you from The Friday 56, and I thought that everyone except me was doing something about Halloweeen! Thanks for being different today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A french maid! I would probably go as Yvette from Clue. *lol*

    - Asher (from Paranormal Indulgence)

    ReplyDelete

As always, so nice to hear from you!