Basil for Blue Monday

Fresh garden basil: LadyD Books
Basil for Blue Monday

The Basil from my garden was very prolific this year. So I decided to make my own Pesto and freeze it for use in sauces this winter. I just love the smell of fresh basil in my kitchen. How about you?

Homemade Pesto: LadyDBooks

This classic Italian sauce, made with fresh basil, is traditionally served with pasta or as a condiment for soups. Use 1 clove garlic, chopped. 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 cup basil leaves, 2 Tbl. pine nuts, 1/2 c. extra-virgin olive oil, 2 Tbl. Parmesan cheese and freshly ground pepper.


Pesto: LadyD Books
Blend the garlic, salt, basil, pine nuts in a blender or food processor until fairly smooth. Transfer to a bowl. Stir in the olive oil, Parmesan, and pepper until combined and season to taste. Store in a clean jar and refrigerate for up to 5 days.



Pesto cubes: LadyD Books
I usually double or triple the recipe and then fill up my ice cube trays and place in the freezer. After they set up and are firm and hard, I place them in a bag so I can access a cube or two right out of my freezer to add to my sauce.


Squash Blossoms: LadyD Books
Squash Blossom for Mellow Yellow Monday
 Our zucchini plants are taking off. This year we only planted two mounds, having learned the hard way that a little bit of zucchini goes a long way! :=)


For Book Sharing Monday

The Olive Oil Cookbook by Louise Pickford


Olive Oil Cookbook

"In the Mediterranean, where the countryside is dominated by olive groves, olive oil is revered and renowned, and it is fast becoming an essential kitchen cupboard ingredient, the world over."
Being Greek, I use olive oil a lot. How about you?

LadyD Books is linking up with the following memes:


InLinkz.com

Best, 





“You can’t get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." C. S. Lewis
Enhanced by Zemanta

13 comments:

  1. Yes, I do like basil, especially with tomatoes and fresh mozzarella. The cloth under the basil is blue-tiful!

    Thanks for sharing.

    Happy Blue Monday, D!

    ReplyDelete
  2. basil goes so well as an ingredient in so many recipes - and I love the smell....Being Sicilian, my mom cooked pestos and sauces with 'basilico', and we had lots of zucchini dishes all summer from her garden.....great memories, and photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. W are kindred spirits, thanks Joanne!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Joanne. Sicilian, we are kindred spirits!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I love everything about basil and the smell of it fresh picked from the garden is heavenly! What a great idea to freeze cubes of your pesto so they're ready for future use!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea!Visiting from Blue Monday

    My BLUE, have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good looking pesto! Hopping by from Blue Monday!


    Please come and see my BLUE, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a nice tip and sauce recipe you shared here. thanks! hope you could stop by on my Blue Monday at: http://www.jollytoes.com/2012/08/05/strolling-around-new-york-city/

    ReplyDelete

As always, so nice to hear from you!