Picture-Taking Mode

LadyD Books: Golden Sunrise


LadyD Books: Eastern Sunrise



LadyD Books: Sunlit Skies

I was extremely blessed to see so much color and light in this morning's sunrise.  I have been reading out of a devotional book, Blessings of the Cross. What are the skies like where you live? Mine's glorious! For more wonderful photos, visit Skywatch Friday

My camera offers tons of settings to make shooting easier. I'm learning some of them to sharpen my photography skills.

Selecting a Picture-Taking Mode

With my Nikon D200 in hand, I chose a picture taking mode for my first three pictures. I change modes by pressing the Mode button on the right side of the camera near the shutter release button, and then turning the main command dial on the back of the camera until the mode I want to use appears in the status LCD on the top panel.

The D200's main shooting modes are Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and Manual. They're represented in the status LCD by the letters, P, A, S, and M.

Program

When to Use: When I want my camera to make the basic settings, I have full control over adjustments to fine-tune my picture.
Don't Use: If I need to use a particular lens opening to control the depth of field or a certain shutter speed to stop action or to use blur for creative purposes.

Aperture Priority

When to Use: When I want to use a particular lens opening, usually to control how much of my image is in sharp focus, and I want the D200 to select a shutter speed automatically.
Don't Use: Aperture Priority is not a good choice if there is too much light for my selected aperture with the available range of shutter speeds at the current ISO sensitivity setting.

Shutter Priority

When to Use: When I want to use a particular shutter speed, usually to freeze or blur moving objects, and I want my camera to select the lens opening for me automatically.
Don't Use: If there is insufficient light or too much light to produce a good exposure at the preferred shutter speed.

Manual

When to Use: When I want full control over the shutter speed and lens opening to produce a particular tonal effect. Manual can also be useful when I'm working with external electronic flash units and I need to set the shutter speed and lens opening myself.
Don't Use: If I'm unable to measure or guess exposure properly, or I don't have time to adjust exposure after reviewing the LCD screen.

I'm just learning about my camera. So, any tips are greatly appreciated.
Nikon D200 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-135mm AF-S DX f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikkor Zoom Lens





 “You can’t get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." C. S. Lewis
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Print Friendly and PDF

Post a Comment

As always, so nice to hear from you!